Monday, April 28, 2008

"Quite possibly the best pancakes I have ever tasted"

During the week, I do some part time office work for my in-laws to earn some extra money and help them out with their home based business. My mother in law is usually home while I am working, so we are usually chatting about our latest recipe finds and food in general. Some days, more food gets made then work gets done :) The other day my mother in law found a recipe in our newspaper, The Rocky Mountain News for some great pancakes that neither of us could stop thinking about. The salad that we had made for lunch started out sounding good, but ended up being more of a disappointment as we continued to think about these pancakes.

Both of us ended up making them over the weekend--hers made following the recipe as she can have gluten, and mine with a few tweaks and changes to accommodate my diet. It was amazing to compare the two finished products...they looked and tasted exactly the same! I never thought I would be able to say this, but for a few moments, I actually forgot that I was eating gluten free.

My husband hates pancakes, but as we sat down and ate them, my husband with a surprised look on his face said "These are quite possibly the best pancakes I have ever tasted". Score!



Lemon Lovers' Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce
.
1 Tbsp Agave Nectar OR 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 Cup Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
1 large Egg
2 large Egg Whites
1/2 Cup fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
the zest of one Lemon
1 Tbsp Canola Oil + Oil for the pan
.
Preheat a skillet or electric griddle to medium heat or about 325*f. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and granulated sugar if you choose to use it. In a separate bowl, whisk together the agave nectar (if not using granulated sugar), ricotta, eggs, lemon juice, zest and canola oil. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry. The batter will be super thick. Using a lunch lady scoop (the ones with an ejector handle) or a spoon. Gently spread the batter out-it will be thick. Let it cook until golden on the bottom, then flip them. You wont see bubbles coming through to the top like you would making regular pancakes. Cook on the second side until golden brown. They will be super fluffy and light.
.
Blueberry Sauce
.
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (fresh squeezed, of course!)
2 tsp Cornstarch
2 Cups Blueberries
1/3 Cup Sugar or 1/4 Cup Agave Nectar
2 Tbsp H2O
1/4 tsp Salt

.
Mix lemon juice and cornstarch, set aside. Bring blueberries, salt, H2O, and agave/sugar to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon/cornstarch and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
.
Holy momma, these will knock your socks off!

6 comments:

Liz said...

Yum. Yum. Yum. If I could have dairy I would totally be all over these. I used to love ricotta cheese with anything lemony and sugary -- such a tasty trio!

Joy said...

Hi..........I am looking at blogs and the internet....because my 15 yr old son was just diagnosed with Celiacs!
He is not happy and very reluctant to go gluten free.
Any ideas on a good bread or bread recipe.
Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome. Love all your recipes and will try some soon!!

Amy said...

Oh my, these sound really good! Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

Joy, thanks for stopping by! I'm sorry to hear that your son is having a difficult time adjusting. He will feel so much better if he can stick to it! I would recommend stopping by Gluten free Steve's blog or Karina's Kitchen (Gluten Free Goddess) for some great bread recipes. Steve just posted a sandwich roll recipe that looks great. Bread is one of those things that takes a little while to get a feel for. Also, GF bread is usually better toasted. I hope this helps...stop by soon!

Elle said...

Those look gorgeous! I love lemon and ricotta, and add blueberries...mmmm!

Kate said...

Ohh... ricotta in pancakes! Oh that sounds so good. I will have to try these as soon as I can.

Thank you so much for posting this.
:)
-Kate

Related Posts with Thumbnails